Visiting Grand Canyon National Park is one of the great Western travel experiences. The vast red rock ravine encompasses over a billion years of geology, running 300 miles wide and a mile deep. Its sheer size is nothing compared to its staggering beauty displayed in its vibrant walls, dramatic rock spires, ancient lava flows, majestic waterfalls, and the sparkling Colorado River at its floor.
From rim to river, Grand Canyon National Park is more than just a stunning landscape--it's the outdoor enthusiast's and architecture aficionado's ultimate playground. Hiking, rafting, and more fun activities await, while touring historic lookouts and buildings--many of them the top Grand Canyon National Park hotels--offers insight into the park's storied past.
Sunset celebrates travel in the West and our editors bring you the true local's take on Grand Canyon National Park in our free Sunset Travel Guide. Whether you're visiting this national treasure for the first time or are returning for another visit, our free travel guide reveals hidden gems and unbeatable bargains--it's like getting advice from trusted friends.
Get the scoop on our favorite hotels, restaurants, and experiences. Download your free Sunset Travel Guide, Grand Canyon National Park Hotels and Activities 2010, and start planning a getaway today! Travel tips include:
- 8 marvelous hiking trails and 4 scenic driving routes that will set your heart--and your camera shutter--aflutter (pages 8 and 13)
- The best times of year to visit the park (page 3)
- Our take on decor, amenities, and more at over 12 Grand Canyon National Park hotels, with options to suit all budgets (page 5)
- 8 spots to soak up Wild West and Route 66 memorabilia (pages 7 and 15)
- How to beat the crowds by exploring the park's incredible North Rim (page 13)
- 7 architectural highlights, including a historic log-and-stone lodge and a watchtower modeled on Native American cliff dwellings (pages 8 and 11)
- Tips on planning outdoor adventures in the park, from whitewater rafting to mule riding (page 8)
- Where to check out Arizona art, from a photography studio in the park to a nearby gallery showcasing locally made works (pages 8 and 15)
- The dish on our favorite places to eat and drink in the park and in its gateway towns, including stately dining rooms, hearty breakfast joints, a restaurant serving 45 flavors of pie daily, and a local microbrewery (pages 7 and 15)
- Where to find informative audio tours of the park that you can download to your MP3 player (page 3)
Ready for your Grand Canyon adventure? Stop dreaming and start packing! And don't forget to claim your free copy of the Sunset Travel Guide, Grand Canyon National Park Hotels and Activities 2010, where you'll find info on the park's best lodging, dining, attractions, and activities--straight from our travel editors.